Search This Blog

Friday, September 14, 2018

4 Words that Change Everything about how We LIVE

I remember sitting on the beach in Southern California.  At twilight. 

The sand cool and smooth on top, silky as the evening air melted away the burning heat of the days sun.  

Looking out at the ocean, I strained my eyes hunting for a solution. 

One that didn't tear my heart up and pour so much grief over my soul. 






I was leaving. 
Leaving behind the ocean and years of joy. 
Leaving a lifestyle of adventure with my friends.  
So many adventures. 
Surfing and exploring the California coastline. 
Diving and swimming and walking the pier. 
Late evening surfs till the sun went down. 
Smiles and stories with the crew together in the water. 
Leaving my youth group and close Christian friends, lifelines of hope for the new life I was living in Jesus. 
Leaving my family.  
Leaving everyone behind. 

The only person I wasn't leaving was Jesus.  


In fact Jesus was asking me to go with him. 
To follow him to Oregon. 
To Bible college. 
To Eugene.  
To a few things I knew and a million I didn't. 

Sitting on that beach, I knew it was the last time.   
This season of my life closed while I dug my feet into the cool sand. 
I cried. 
So many dreams were leaving with the setting sun. 
Falling from me as I turned my back on the ocean.  

For one compelling relationship I was going....To follow Jesus.  


Four compelling words....  "I will follow YOU."



"...You must follow me." Jesus to Peter after reinstating him on the beach.  John 21:22
Post resurrection.  Jesus is shaping Peter's continued understanding of their relationship, of how Peter remains in Christ.  

Following Jesus is the essence of learning to obey all he taught.   
It is real time, geographic, now reality.  

"Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be.  My Father will honor the one who serves me."  John 12:26

Following God is not a new idea. 

The Israelite's were led by a pillar of fire and a cloud as they walked with God through the desert to the promised land.  Moses was recounting to them how the Lord led them.  How they followed his lead. 


Then I said to you, 
“Do not be terrified; 
do not be afraid of them. 
30The Lord your God, 
who is going before you, 
will fight for you, 
as he did for you in Egypt, 
before your very eyes, 
31and in the wilderness. 
There you saw 
how the Lord your God carried you, 
as a father carries his son, 
all the way you went 
until you reached this place.”  
Deut 1:29
Moses to Israel

They were carried along by the Father of lights. 
Led to each place of rest and growth. 
Purified in his righteousness and love. 

These days we offer a Gospel that comes in pieces. 
1. Forgiveness of sins -- but no sense of following. 
2. Following with no sense of repentance.
3. No follow Gospel - you get your ticket to heaven and wait for the day.
4. The Book Gospel - A God who once spoke but now is mute. 

The essence of Jesus' work with the 12 is detailed in this phrase....

"--- that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach and to have authority to drive out demons."  Mark 3:14

Following Jesus in the fullness of the Gospel of the Kingdom....

1. Will place us into transforming grace and his way.
2. Will keep us abiding in him as we walk in him. 
3. Will order our lives with his purpose and grace.
4. Will intertwine our lives in his mission and works through the Spirit.
Follow Jesus - literally in the world of his Kingdom today - where you go I'll go!

Recently this perspective was burned into my understanding. 
As we do often, I was out walking in our city in the leading of the Spirit with the intent of sharing the Gospel of the Kingdom; ministering in the Spirit's power to any and all we meet.  

We chose our route in prayer. 
It led us in and around a number of neighborhoods in which we had previously ministered. 
There was a whole list of testimony --- stretching all along the way of encounters with people, answered prayer, miracles and open hearts.  

One of the team members was carrying the cross.  A large one.  One everyone can see as they drive or walk by.  

I was encouraging the guys with how to share the Gospel and walking them through how they would do it.  

They shared with me what they might say.  
I realized they needed some more instruction. 
And I realized....
If someone responds to this Gospel...which they will. 
NOW WHAT? 

Follow me as I follow Christ. 

 We are not simply dolling out words and getting a yes response. 
We are sharing a way. 
We are helping people enter into the Kingdom of Jesus Christ. 
Teaching them to walk in eternal life now. 

Praying a prayer and saying goodbye.  It is not enough.

Who is following Christ and learning from you?  


The Other Three Words ---- to unpack later. 

Walk after the Spirit - get moving - take steps - stay in motion -
Go - the gospel on your lips the Kingdom freely yours - go go go - the disciple is marked by his or her going.   Save the Lost / Revive the Saved
Disciple - everyone everywhere - in this Kingdom of God and the Ways of Jesus Christ.



Thank you for reading and for the comments and +1's.   

Thanks for reading!
Pass it on. 
Share the story with your friends.

Send a comment.
Join the story. 
I love hearing from you. 
The circle of encouragement is amazing!


  

Global Kingdom Harvest Ministries - is going out into the world with the Gospel of the Kingdom in the power of the Spirit. Often to the "least of these".   

We are taking teams Circuit Riding in the Northwest of the USA and in Japan, Indonesia, Uganda, soon Pakistan and India.  
Saving the Lost, Reviving the Saved, Equipping Everyone we are following the Spirit to bring the Gospel to every open door and welcome.  

Visit our web site and connect if you want to join a team www.jeffreynoldsministries.com 
Find Jeff's stories and First Love encouragements at www.jeffreynoldsonedesire.blogspot.com 

Want to give to this ministry?  We live by faith and the generous gifts of the Saints.
paypal.me/GKHJeffReynolds  - Gifts are tax deductable



Thanks for Reading!   


I love your comments. Ideas and thoughts.  
Please share em.
Re-shares are great. thank U.

Here are some other blogs posts that may interest you. 

1.http://jeffreynoldsonedesire.blogspot.com/2015/01/7-things-enemy-devil-doesnt-want-you-to.html
 




The dialogue is awesome.  Thank you. Testimonies?  Share em with me.   Re-Shares lov em.  Thank you! With much love in Jesus 
You can do this thing!  He's got you. 



Jeff Reynolds   --- Global Kingdom Harvest Ministries

Brother Jeff

www.jeffreynoldsministies.com
 


Love in the Lord
Jeff Reynolds 
Global Kingdom Harvest Min.
www.mycapstone.org
jeff@jeffreynoldsministries.com 
www.jeffreynoldsministries.com 

No comments: