Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Lose Your Life to Find It? On the beach at Seventeen...

When is the last time you heard someone tell you to lose something as the way to find it?


Not often.  Maybe never.


Jesus does.   

"He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it. 
Matt 10:39

At seventeen, 
I remember sitting in the sand on an empty beach in Southern California.  Sunset was amazing.  I was at a crossroads.  Looking out over the surf I knew deep inside the  "future I saw" was not where I was headed.  Jesus and I were talking. 


As a surfer and beach loving kid, it seemed I grew up "in" the ocean.  I loved it.  It captivated me. Surfing up and down the California coast and into Mexico, I grew to love everything about the wind and waves.  

I envisioned a life as an oceanographer and scientist delving deep into the depths of the Oceans exploring their mysteries.  Of course I would study in Hawaii. : )

Jesus had other plans.  
I felt the call to a life of preaching the Gospel  --- which actually has lead me to many States in America and many countries in the world.  That meant a new life headed to Bible College and a move to a new part of the country.  The new life weighed on me and drew me in.  Day after day the new life looked 3D and the beach life looked 2D.  I actually had a deeper hunger and desire for what he was proposing. Yet, I had no idea what it really meant.  

As I searched my heart on the beach with the Lord, we were having words. Well, I was having words.  He was listening. Not saying much. I was explaining the merits of my envisioned life to him.  Arguing to find my life.  The one life I thought best for me.  The one that made the most sense and of course seemed to provide me with the most pleasure.  The one that kept me in the "things I loved".  Even as I made my case, the reality kept pouring into me.  I love Jesus more than this stuff, this proposed future.  I want you Lord more than anything in this life. 

Yea. I cried. I was saying goodbye to a life style, friends, home church, family.  Bye to everything. Yet deep inside I felt something profoundly different emerging.  I was saying yes to Jesus and it filled me up. On the inside I felt something expanding.   I knew the life he proposed was the real life for me.  Probably because I had chosen life for myself before.

I knew what a life chosen by me could produce.
I knew painfully and regretfully so, what choosing life from my pain, desires,  and wisdom produced.  At this point after giving my life to Jesus, I was clear that I didn't want to "find my life".  I wanted to lose it for his sake. 

Years and years latter I've stumbled on a desire or two of my heart that he gave me with a smile.  Gems he gave me from this crossroads surrender. 

I have no regrets.  I might be the happiest most blessed man in the world.  At least between Jesus and I, I feel like that. 


"He who loses his life for my sake will find it". 


Jesus is not seeking to be an addition to life.
He is life.  it starts and ends with him.  
He is the beginning and end of everything my life is about.
A completely different life.
Today in my 50's I still chose that winding narrow road.
I still chose.  I still have words with Jesus.  
I still want him more than anything. 

To enter into this life we have to become like a child.  
Even when you are old.      
Matthew 18:3

Willing to learn again? 
Willing to see something so opposite and different from what you "know". 
Jesus told those closest to him that unless they became as little children they would not see the Kingdom of Heaven.


Many teachings today are focused on how Jesus makes our lives better. 
To me they sound like finding our lives in everything but Jesus. 

Jesus said, "Whoever finds their life will lose it." 
Jesus gives us a brand new life that is eternal.
Not a life on top of the one we already have. 

People are running after faith to simply improve life here and now;
To get through and to solve their problems.  
Following Jesus can create more problems for us than are solved. 
Many turn back at this point. 
They say to themselves, "This is not what I signed up for".  

The idea being, "there is a good life that God endorses".

Rather....
Jesus is giving away through faith a Kingdom.  One that will never end in "the greatness of his government and peace."  Isaiah 9:7 
Top to bottom this Kingdom is radically "other" and seeks to bring us into the way, the truth and the life God always intended for us. 

Discipleship is essential surrender.   Surrender of everything.
We lose the life we thought we found.....for an eternal life beyond imagination.

As a surfer and beach kid I grew up in the ocean.  I loved it.  It captivated me.  

Then Jesus captivated me.

To find your life and

You lose it 

lose it for the sake of Jesus 

You Find It.     Forever.   


"Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.…" Col 3:3-4



Oh, I did find some things 

My wife - in the new land where I went to Bible College.  29 years later we have serve Jesus with the same love.  














Missions to many places in the world.  The treasures of Jesus day after day.
Encounters with the living God spanning 36 years. 

Friends in Christ around the world and America.









Three Amazing Boys that are now men and love Jesus!











Unlock the treasures of your life hidden in Jesus!  Col 3:1-3.  
You will never regret the glory, grace, power and love you experience walking in the Spirit.  
Yea. Some days you just STAND.  
But mostly you find yourself in the most amazing love ever imagined.  And it last forever!  

Grace and Peace in Jesus!  


Comments?  Ideas?  
This topic may raise some questions.  
Please shoot them off to me.  Let the discussion begin!   
Re-shares are encouraged.
thank you for the +'s


Go ahead.  Run with HIM.   


Other posts that may interest you:
1.http://jeffreynoldsonedesire.blogspot.com/2015/01/7-things-enemy-devil-doesnt-want-you-to.html
 





Thanks for reading. 
The dialogue is awesome.  Thank you. Testimonies?  Share em with me.   Re-Shares lov em.  Thank you!
With much love in Jesus
You can do this thing!  He's got you. 



Jeff Reynolds   ---
Brother Jeff









No comments: